Broccoli Salad with Broccoli Pesto dressing by Chef Tim Bone
This fresh, vibrant salad utilises the whole of the beautiful broccoli including the stem. Keeping it raw makes it super healthy and adds a bit of crunch! The pesto adds some zing and the cranberries give it a lovely sweetness. Would make a great addition at your next BBQ and pairs nicely with lamb and chicken.
Portion: Serves 6-8
For the pesto:
- 2 cups of broccoli florets (approx. 1 head of broccoli)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic gloves, chopped
- 1 cup of packed basil leaves
- 1 cup of packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup of almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Slash of water if needed
- Salt and pepper
- For the Salad
- 3 heads of broccoli, chopped into small pieces including the stem
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup of roughly chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- 1/4 cup of chopped chives
- For the pesto, steam the florets until just tender. Remove and cool in the fridge.
- In a food processor, add all the pesto ingredients except for the oil and blitz until smooth. With the motor going, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until combined. Add a little bit of water if you want thinner consistency. Season to taste.
- To build the salad, place the chopped broccoli in a large serving bowl. Add the chilli flakes, chopped toasted almonds, cranberries and pesto. Gently toss to combine.
- Top with shaved parmesan and chopped chives. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Check for seasoning and serve!
Recipe by Tim Bone