Crispy Fried Tofu by Dani Venn
Chef Dani Venn shares her delicious crispy tofu recipe that will convert even the most carnivorous amongst us. The secret is in the marinade!
- 400g firm tofu, sliced into cubes
- ¼ cup light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce or oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup corn flour, tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- To marinate tofu combine tofu marinade ingredients, soy or tamari, maple syrup or rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, chilli sauce or oil and sesame oil into a bowl, whisk well then add tofu and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- After tofu has marinated, add cornflour to a mixing bowl and toss tofu in to coat.
- Add coconut oil to a large frypan over medium – high heat, when hot, add tofu and fry on both sides for a minute or so until golden and crispy. Remove from heat. Serve with Asian greens, chilli oil or as part of a wholesome rice bowl.
Recipe by Chef Dani Venn